Labels

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Table Toppers

So I wanted to try quilting on my machine, rather than always sending things out for quilting.  I've wanted to try my hand at triangles too.  So thought I would do them both at the same time.

Now that I have it all pieced I see that it needs to be a bit bigger for my nightstand.



I added sashing to add to the size.  I kind of like it with the sashing.

Pinned up my sandwich, now on to my first quilting.  

It didn't take too long and it looks great.  I can see a few spots that aren't quite straight.  But overall first time, looks good.

Then I moved on to the binding.  That wasn't fun.  I used store bought 2 1/2" double fold tape.  Sewed it on to the back and folded over.  I attempted to sew the folded over piece on the machine, but that just didn't work.  I wasn't always hitting the back tape and it looked messy.  After about 4 iinches, I decided to do it by hand.  It wasn't too bad to do, although I had sore fingers after.  It worked out great.

Now I'm going to do one more for my dresser top in the bedroom.  Same colors, just going to do bigger traingles.




1 comment:

  1. It looks very nice, and I'm impressed with your HST. I think making your own binding from fabric is a bit nicer and easier to stitch. Opinions probably vary on that. I hate binding, so I do whatever makes it easier to sew. Your fingers toughen up after a while, if you do it enough. =)

    ReplyDelete